Monday, April 27, 2009

Organizing Photos, Updating Website

I am attempting to get our photo website(http://www.totsites.com/tot/gracieandlilly) updated. This is a LONG and arduous process.

First, I have to collect the thousands of photos taken over the last 6 months from all of our cameras. Then dump them onto my hard drive. The sorting is made a little easier by sorting the date on the folder, but the only problem is that one of the cameras that took the photos doesn't have the right date programmed on it, so some of the photos need to be hand sorted.

Second, the sorted photos need to be weeded through, adjusted, and then uploaded into the website. This process takes a LONG time because of various computer issues which crashes my computer about a million times during the upload process. Also, it is very hard to pick through the photos and say, "No one wants to see that one" or "But I don't want to leave that one out!". Each and every one of the photos (over 400 by now) have to have a caption added to it. The photo albums are then arranged, one by one, for continuity.

After uploads are complete, then I have to edit the website itself, add various facts about the kids, and finalize the look of the page. I spell check and grammar check the page about 40 times, so I don't sound like an idiot, and then save all of the changes made.

The last step is to notify all of our friends and relatives about the updated web page. This process takes at least an hour alone.

All in all, I spend approximately 20 hours on the page every time I update it, which is precisely the reason it doesn't get done very much. But the cool thing is that people who have, at one time or another, had a part in our kids lives, get added to our list of recipients and can follow their lives and see all of their photos. I have been told that people really look forward to updates and I always get a ton of emails telling me how awesome the site is. This makes me happy and validates all of the hard work. So, that's why I still do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counter