Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Porch Of Our Dreams

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

Casey and I have been dreaming of a porch off of the back of our house. With the help of a $500 gift card from my Mom and Dad, and new tools that they have painstakingly picked out for us, and a little time and courage, we finally built it. We absolutely love it. It has changed our lives. You really take for granted being able to walk out your back door, much less sit outside and look at your back yard from the shelter of a little tin and wood. This is it:

DSC_0003

You see the little wooden platform to the left? Yeah, that was our old porch. Quite a difference!

DSC_0001

There’s the bar and the two lawn chairs which have gotten tons of use already.

DSC_0005

Complete with a Grannie and Granjack-style screen door with wire locker. I LOVE IT! It sounds like childhood!

It was not without blood, sweat, and tears. Tears over arguing about joist spacing and how to hang the hinges for the door (Hey, those were the only two arguments. Pretty good considering how big of a project it was!). The sweat came from this last weekend working on it (The first two weekends were in the 40s in Houston). And the blood…

DSC_0010

DSC_0008

The bruise was from me falling off of the porch and trying to hang on to the 4x6. Luckily, Casey caught me and this “road rash” was all I got. The gash (which looked a LOT worse when it happened) was from me laying on the corrugated tin top and slicing my arm open on a piece of tin. That crap is SHARP!!!

All in all, we are so proud of it. Ahhhh, I love home improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counter