Monday, June 15, 2009

Infant Instincts

(Not Ivan, but I thought the picture was cute!)

Yesterday, Casey and I took the girls swimming in the neighborhood pool. The girls got in the water and we left Ivan in the car seat to watch. After a few minutes, Ivan seemed upset that he wasn't in the pool with us. So, I got out and grabbed him and put him in the pool with me, diaper and all. I was surprised to find out how much he loved being in the pool and how little it freaked him out. Now keep in mind, he is only 3 months old, and can barely hold his head up. While I was holding him in the pool, I noticed that he was virtually swimming! He was kicking his legs and keeping his head out of the water when it would splash in his face. I was amazed that he knew what to do. I got such a kick out of it that I wanted to see truly how comfortable he was in the water. I had read once that babies have instincts that cause them to float in the water and stay still and calm until they are pulled from the water. This is the reason that they drown if they go into the water face down so quickly. They can't roll onto their backs because they are lying still. But if you put a baby face up in the water he will lay very still, close his eyes and take very shallow breaths. So I laid him in the water, face up and watched him float all by himself in the water. AT THREE MONTHS! I was so impressed. I couldn't stand to do it for very long. Mommy instincts take over very quickly and you have an overwhelming urge to pick him up, hold him tightly and get him out of the pool. He had so much fun! We got him home, gave him a shower, and he was so wore out, that we couldn't get him to finish his bottle. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors

free counter